Is your garage door not working correctly? Today, we’ll be breaking down exactly what you should do if you suspect you have a snapped cable on your garage door. By following these steps, you’ll be able to quickly fix the problem and get your door back up and running in no time!
How do garage door cables snap?
Garage door cables work by counterbalancing the heavy garage door as it opens and closes. However, over time these cables can become worn out from regular use. When this happens, they are more susceptible to snapping. Other causes of a snapped cable include:
- Improper installation
- Worn out pulleys
- Excessive rust or corrosion
- Damage from a car or other object
There are different types of garage door cables, including torsion and extension cables. Torsion cables work by winding and unwinding as the door moves, whereas extension cables work by extending and retracting. If you’re unsure which type of cable your garage door has, you can usually find this information on the manufacturer’s website or in the owner’s manual.
Can I use my garage door with a snapped cable?
What does this mean for your garage door? Common signs that you may have a broken cable in your garage door include:
- The door opening or closing unevenly
- The door becomes stuck in one position
- A loud noise comes from the garage door as it moves
If you suspect that your garage door has a snapped cable, DO NOT attempt to open or close it using the garage remote. This could cause further damage to the door and put you at risk of injury.
So, how do you open a garage door with a snapped cable?
If you cannot open or close your garage door using the remote, you’ll need to open it manually. To do this, you’ll need to:
- Disconnect the opener from the door by pulling on the cord or pressing the emergency release handle
- Open the door manually using the handle
- Secure the door in place with a C-clamp or vice grip
Remember to take care when opening the door manually. Your garage door is a lot heavier than you probably expect, and improper handling could cause injury.
If you get stuck, leave it to the professionals. That’s what we’re here for!
What to do when you have a snapped cable on the garage door:
If you suspect that your garage door cable has cracked, it’s crucial to take action right away. A snapped cable can cause severe damage to your garage door and put you at risk of injury, so it’s essential to fix the problem as soon as possible.
Here are the steps you should take if you suspect your garage cable has snapped:
– Make sure the garage door is safe. DO NOT attempt to open or close the door, as this could cause further damage.
– Contact a professional. It’s important to have a professional look at the garage door. The cable will likely need to be replaced, and other damage may need to be fixed.
– Test the door. Once the cable has been replaced, open and close the garage door to make sure it’s working correctly.
Maintaining your garage door cables:
You should regularly check your garage door cables to make sure they’re in good condition. This can be done by visually inspecting the cables and feeling for any signs of wear or damage. If you’re unsure how to do this, contact our expert garage repair technicians at Taurus Garage Doors in Chicago.
Taurus Garage Doors Chicago is a professional garage door repair company with a wealth of experience. We offer a wide range of services, including cable replacement, garage door opener installation, and more. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.